Saturday, July 25, 2009

Book Recap

Do y'all remember, back in January, when I said I was going to keep track of all the books I read this year (for fun, not for class, because the class books don't really count), with a goal of 50? Yeah, much like my media blog, which has two entries, but a third now in progress, that didn't really happen. But I have been reading, so I'm going to do a little list of 2009's selections to date, in case anyone is curious about what I read when I'm reading for my own sake.

Um, they might not be totally in chronological order. I remembered as best I could.

Books of 2009, as of 25 July:
1. Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil - Inga Muscio
2. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
3. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman
4. The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks
5. Neuromancer - William Gibson
6. The Opposite of Fate - Amy Tan
7. The Joy-Luck Club - Amy Tan
8. The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan
9. Takarazuka (Sexual Politics and Popular Culture in Modern Japan) - Jennifer Robertson
10. The Hundred Secret Senses - Amy Tan
11. The Kitchen God's Wife - Amy Tan
12. Cunt - Inga Muscio
13. Beyond Heaving Bosoms (The Smart Bitches Guide to Romance Novels) - Sarah Wendell, Candy Tan
14. Killing Rage - bell hooks
15. Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman
16. Polite Lies - Kyoko Mori
17. Looking for the Lost (Journeys Through a Vanishing Japan) - Alan Booth

Okay, so 17 isn't terribly impressive for it being the end of July, but remember that I did also have 12 books to read for my classes last semester. So, really, I've read 29 books so far this year.

Anyway, looking at the list, you will probably notice that I went on an Amy Tan kick there for awhile. I read her memoir and then decided that I needed to re-read all her novels (except for the one I don't have). Another thing that might be noteworthy is that 11 of the 17 are by women, 2 are by Neil Gaiman, 8 are non-fiction and 3 are about Japan (or an aspect thereof). The book I'm starting next is also non-fiction and also about Japan, but not written by a woman.

All of these books are recommended, but if you're curious about any particular one, I can do little reviews. Just drop a comment and I'll add it to my to-do list.

By the way, I changed my blog title. It's now 我思う故に我あり (われおもうゆえにわれあり, ware omou yue ni ware ari) which is the Japanese version of "I think, therefore I am."

0 コメント: