Saturday, July 4, 2009

After an unplanned hiatus...

I have work stories! Specifically, work stories of horror and woe. If you don't know, this job is brilliant for the money and the no-weekends thing, but otherwise completely horrific. The lead (I'll call her T, because it's a bad idea to use names here) is a stupid bitch who makes everything massively more difficult than it needs to be and speaks to me in that condescending tone reserved for children and very stupid people, the other permanent person (I'll call her V) snaps all the time, and the other temporary person is also kind of nasty. The personalities clash, I'm always the one blamed for problems, and it's pretty much the worst work environment ever. I've never been treated so badly in my life.

My supervisor (G) is great, and the people I work with from 2-5 every day are awesome, as is pretty much every other person in the clinic, but the people I work with most of the time? Yeah, they suck.

So, have some Real Life Events that will hopefully show just why this job is turning out to be hell.


Today's theme: Computers

1. I didn't have a log-in until last Monday (I started on 15 June). Finally, though, G came by in the morning when I was the only one in, because everyone else is chronically late, and told me that the log-in was ready and I needed to call MIS to get the temporary password and do the set-up. I knew I'd have to call MIS, because I had a county job last year and you always have to call them first, so I told G that I'd do it sometime that morning, after everyone else was in. All fine and good.

About a half-hour after the lead got in, she and I had the following conversation:

T: Alexis, have you logged in yet?
Me: No, I still have to call MIS.
T: Well, I'd like you to log in now.
Me: Okay, just let me put this file away and then I'll call MIS.
T: No, don't do that, just log in right now, please.
Me: Um, what? G came by this morning and told me to call MIS first, for the set-up. Gimme a minute and it'll be ready.
T: Well, G sent me an email and told me to have you try logging in. Don't argue with me, please.
Me: o.O Okay. What's my temporary password?
T: You don't know your password?
Me: ...No. Because I haven't called MIS.
T: You better call MIS first, then.

Yes, this really happened.

2. Again with the log-in issues. The people in medical records share their log-in info, because the computers time out after 15 minutes and you need a password to get back in. I picked a really simple, easy-to-remember password with the idea that, since a computer had been designated mine, it would only make sense to let them have the info. Otherwise, when I'm not in the room, the computer will be locked and useless. V told me not to give it to her, because I should have my privacy. I said something facetious along the lines of: I don't even have an outlook account - I have nothing to hide. She insisted that, no, don't worry about it, it really won't be a big deal. Then, the next day, I got the following:

T: Alexis, honey, when you leave the room make sure you log out. We don't know your log-in, so it's really inconvenient for us when you forget.
Me: Do you want the log-in? I can give it to you, so it'll never be an issue.
T: No, you just need to be more careful. You've forgotten to log out every day and it's getting to be a problem.
Me: I've only had a log-in since yesterday... Um, okay, I'll do that, then.

Then, a little later:

V: It is useless to have this phone turned on when you're logged in at this computer! Don't even bother next time, because it's really annoying.
Me: o.O Right. I'll remember that.

3. Sometimes records get misfiled. When there are hundreds of records, it happens. We're as careful as possible, but numbers just start looking alike after awhile, you know? Anyway, a file was missing last week for a couple of days, no one could fine it, and when it was found it was in the 27s (the file itself was a 40-something). My guess? The patient's birthday is 1927 and whoever filed it looked at the birthday rather than the medical record number (on the labels, the birthday is listed without spaces or slash marks, just like the MRN). Apparently, this potential confusion had never occurred to anyone else, but it makes sense to me. On Thursday, another file was missing and T told me to look for it.

T: Would you try to find this file?
Me: Sure. Have you checked by the last two numbers in the birthday? 'Cause we found that one file in the 27s, so it could have happened again.
T: No, I haven't.
Me: Okay, I'll try that first, then. *sits down at computer to look up the birthday, because it's not printed on the out card*
T: *like I'm an idiot* Why are you getting on the computer?
Me: ...To look up the birthday.
T: Oh, right.

This woman? Yeah, she's gonna drive me to screaming insanity. I can't stand working with her.

3 コメント:

N. Turner said...

Well, doesn't T sound like a peachy woman?

Remember you can most definitely call me if things get out of hand again. As always. And the boredom thing? Yea... I get that too.

On the bright side, you only have two months left, and then you get to come back to Salem!

The Witty Mulatto said...

Well! SOMEone needs to get laid, don't they?

You should think up interesting pseudonyms for them based on their...personal attributes. I've seen it done on other blogs. 'Cause I can't remember who's who.

Just remember as you go through all this - at least your readers will be amused. It's like a social experiment. Like when Nellie Bly spent ten days in a madhouse so she could report to the masses. 'Cause I'm vastly amused (though I do pity you).

And at least it's temporary. There are some people who've been in those jobs for twenty years.

I'm coming back to WA in August; we should get together.

The Witty Mulatto said...

Also, I feel like people likethat are living proof that it's impossible to get fired from a state job (unless the economy sucks).