Tuesday, July 28, 2009

皆川たちの手紙をもらった!

Yes, I got a letter from my host family! Really, from my host mom, but she updates me on everything and is really the sweetest lady in the world, I swear. I was actually getting a bit concerned, because I sent a letter in May and a little greeting card in June and hadn't heard from them since they sent me a birthday card back in March. But, yesterday I got a cute little letter and all is well. My host parents were sick for a good portion of the spring, so they've been busy.

Anyway, I took a picture of the first page, so you can see both the cuteness and the handwriting:


There's a second page, too, and I guess my reading skills really have improved, because I can read all of it easily. She said that they want to come to my college graduation, in both English AND Japanese (to make sure I understood, I guess?), so... I don't really know what to say because that is a really long way to go to see someone graduate. I'm going to tell her that, of course, they'll be invited, but don't feel obligated. Isn't that crazy, though? I read that sentence twice and was just like '...for real?' They're like my Japanese grandparents, seriously.

Speaking of Minagawa-tachi, I realised that most/all of you don't know what they look like because my only picture is a physical print. But, with the wonders of my digital camera, I was able to capture it. So, if you're curious, this is my host family, AKA Minagawa-tachi/皆川たち:


お父さん (otousan), お母さん (okaasan) and ゆうき (Yuuki). I have another host sister, too, はるよ (Haruyo), but she's married and doesn't live at home anymore. Haruyo is the one who took me to see The Lion King in Tokyo. And that is the dining room (which doubles as primary living area) in their house.

And now, because it's way too hot, I'm going to go collapse away from my computer. I really want the heat wave to end, because this is uncomfortable. And my afternoon bus never seems to have A/C. I've taken to quick, cool showers when I get home so I don't feel disgusting all night. Can it be under 85 again, please? That'd be ace.

1 コメント:

N. Turner said...

I know! This heat is killer. As of this moment, I hear a lot of areas near Seattle have no power because everyone is trying to cool down in this heat wave. Unfortunately, a certain person we know from Cali is all "suck it up whiners, I don't care". She says its like Californians complaining about the rain. Except I just say "how cute" and keep going. *sigh*

Luckily, as of this weekend (and after today in general) it is a lot cooler. Well, early ninetys and upper 80s this weekend!!! And that is just last I heard, I am not exactly sure right now.

Remember you are loved! And I would love to hear more about the book!!
~N

PS. I understood most of the header for this, but the second kanji in 'letter'. Oh well. I gotta brush up like wow. And they really wanna come to your grad?! WOW! Then again, you are their LAST host student.