Monday, April 19, 2010

Thesis Time

I mailed off my JET acceptance today. Along with my criminal records check and an IRS form related to my upcoming foreign residency. On Thursday, I have my physical and then, as soon as I get that form filled out, I'll send it off to JET and be all set for getting placement! I could know in as little as three weeks what my placement is, which is just enough time for me to be reduced to a ball of nerves. Again.

Anyway, in the meantime I'm trying to finish my thesis and it's... going. I'm on page 12, of a required 20-25, and that isn't including an introduction because I haven't written one yet. I'll make at least 20 pages easily, so that's not a concern, it's just that I still have to write them. I also have to seriously edit the first 10 pages that I wrote because there are a lot of problems. My thesis adviser pointed out that I kind of don't really have a central focus. I mean, I am arguing something, but there's no strong "so what" yet. Instead, I've been sort of toying with three or four possible reasons for even writing this paper. Aside from, you know, my intense desire to graduate on the 16th. So, when I get the whole thing written, I'm going to have to go back through it and edit, reorder some parts, break a few paragraphs up and shift the content around, because I shouldn't structure them the way I did, and refine it all to fit a more central idea. That I don't quite have yet. It'll happen.

I'm just burned out and bored, honestly. I'm so close to being finished, and so close to going back to Japan, and so close to doing something I've dreamed of for a long time that it's hard to maintain enthusiasm for my thesis. Or anything else I have left to do to attain my degree.

I'm down to my thesis, a final 7-10 page paper for Apocalyptic Lit (that I haven't started - it's on the agenda after I make more thesis progress), and a group presentation for art history. And all of that will be turned in and completed by 4 May. Then I'll chill for a week and a half, graduate, and head back up to Washington until 24 July when I peace out to Japan. That's it. I'm thisclose.

Also, I will definitely be moving blogs. I made an account over at Wordpress and am planning to migrate over there this summer, probably in July a little before I leave the country. Blogspot has served me well for the past two years, but I'm due for a change of scene and I like some things Wordpress has to offer.

And that's about it. I don't have a lot happening, just a few things that are kind of big. My only other news is maybe that I decided to get James Heisig's book Remembering the Kanji to try his method. I'll let you know how that goes for me.

5 コメント:

Sara Mari said...

That's so great you got accepted by the Jet program. I've know plenty of people who got turned away haha^^

Don't even talk about thesis, well mine is still more than a year away, but I don't want to think about it haha! ^^

A.N. Latshaw said...

@さらまり: Thanks! I worked really hard, but part of it is luck and I'm super grateful for being given the job. ^^

And theses are... ha.

N. Turner said...

I know, we are so close.. and that makes it hard to be motivated. Especially you, since you have a job already for post-graduation and your life is actually moving forward.

You can do it! I have faith in you!!!

The Witty Mulatto said...

Yeah, I totally didn't know we were gonna get senioritis in college too.

A.N. Latshaw said...

I think the senioritis might actually be a little worse than it was in high school, at this point, which is lame.

Also, @Nikki, your life is moving forward, too. You're getting married soon, after all. That's no small thing.