Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The term's winding down

First of all, I have today's Frann quote, from my literature and sexuality class. She's one of my favourite English professors, seriously, super badass.

"There are a lot of men who have sex with other men, but don't identify as homosexual. And not all of them are well-known ministers and senators."

In other news, I got my job as a writing center consultant next term. I felt good about the interview, and I'm way more qualified than half the losers who already work there (it's not arrogance if it's true), so I wasn't all that surprised to be sent the contract. But it's still good news, even though it's only $8.45 an hour and I'm only guaranteed four hours a week. But $130-ish a month isn't bad for marginally interesting part-time work - I'll be able to keep food in my apartment and go out for Indian occasionally. And that's what really matters.

Oh man, now I want paneer. Why did I think of Indian food?

I'm all thrown off this week because half my classes are missing. Choir is done, since we had our last concert on Sunday and Christine doesn't make us have rehearsal for the last week, and I don't have Japanese again till Monday (where we'll be watching a currently unspecified Japanese film), so I only have my afternoon classes. I slept till eleven today, it was great. I do have this lame presentation to do in my Shakespeare class tomorrow, but judging by how bad most of the presentations yesterday were, I'm not too stressed. I'm just going to show a couple of clips from the 1993 film of Much Ado About Nothing, talk about how those clips demonstrate the use of background characters to give the film the play's sense of being about gossip, and call it good. I have to submit a 2-3 page double-spaced write-up explaining the presentation, but that won't take long to write.

And I'm almost done with Foucault! I stand by what I've said about everyone needing to read History of Sexuality, but that doesn't mean I'm not overdosing on the damn thing. I've read it twice in a month, for two different classes. I'm getting to the point where if someone says "you know that part where he talks about power coming from below?" I can say "oh yeah, it's from the first couple of pages of Method, chapter two of part four." And that's kind of sad.

That example, by the way? Actually happened in class yesterday.

Current school things aside, I've come up with a goal for my summer Japanese studies. I am going to learn all 1,945 practical kanji. I know about a sixth of them currently, there are websites that lay them out by grade level, and I'm just going to start at the first grade kanji and work forward, skipping over the ones I already know.

I will be able to read Japanese by fall, just watch me.

0 コメント: