Saturday, May 1, 2010

Morbid and creepifying

First of all: Books of 2010, as of 1 May:

1. The Sign of Four - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Apocalypse - D.H. Lawrence
5. Love in the Ruins - Walker Percy
6. The Return of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
7. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
8. The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon
9. Wonder Boys - Michael Chabon
10. Paradise Lost - John Milton
11. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
12. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
13. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
14. White Noise - Don DeLillo
15. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
16. Japanese Lessons - Gail Benjamin

Yeah, it's been awhile since the last time I updated that list. I also re-read parts of Lost Japan by Alex Kerr, but since I only flipped through it while eating dinner one night I'm not counting it. It's a good book, by the way, if you're interested in Japan. He owns property on Shikoku and in Kyoto and the book is kind of a critique of modern Japan. He's really legit.

In other news, I finished my thesis! Annie and I marathoned Firefly while she worked on her art project and I worked on my thesis and now I've finished it. Unfortunately, it made me sad again that Firefly got canceled. I mean, I do like Serenity and I'm glad they made a film to give some closure, but I still really wish there had been more of the show. So many things never got explained and I love the characters.

But, yeah, thesis is off the list! I'm giving it a final read-through to catch any little errors or weird things, but at 24 pages I can comfortably say that it is, indeed, done. I still have my final paper for apocalyptic lit to write, but that's only 7 to 10 pages and it's not due till Tuesday. And then I will be clear to graduate and, in a little under three months, I'm off to Japan!

Maybe I should start a JET countdown, with a ticker or something that I can keep on my blog. As of today it is... 85 days till departure. That's really soon. Craziness.

2 コメント:

Anonymous said...

I highly approve of all the Sherlock Holmes books! My dad used to read me those when I was a kid - he did special voices and everything.

Yay for being done with your thesis! It's a strange feeling isn't it?

Only 85 more days?! Holy cow! I can't wait!!

btw, when are you switching over to Wordpress? Once you start your new adventure?

A.N. Latshaw said...

Yay Sherlock Holmes! I'm a big fan of the stories.

It really is weird to have a finished thesis. I still have one short paper left to write, but that's due Tuesday and then that's it. And I'm so excited to start getting ready for Japan!

And I'm thinking I'll switch to Wordpress after graduation. Make a clean break with this blog and start the new one with my JET preparation.