Saturday, March 7, 2009

College Experiences?

At about eleven o'clock tonight, I helped heat up a kitchen fork with a borrowed Zippo lighter in order to get a tick off the back of someone's neck.

It was not my favourite thing ever.

Unfortunately, Josh does not have health insurance, so he refused to go to the ER to get his neck looked at properly. We're 97% sure we got the tick out whole and everything's fine, but he can't afford proper medical care, so that slight possibility of a problem is sort of looming in the shadows. This, to me, screams a need for universal health care. Because, when someone can't afford to go look into the (however remote) possibility of Lyme Disease or some other nasty shit, you know there's something wrong with the system.

Our health care is so beyond broken.

Putting that aside, today I went to Uwajimaya (the big Seattle-based Japanese grocery store) and bought things like Kirin Lemon (a soda) and plum wine and yakisoba-making supplies. The Uwajimaya in the International District up in Seattle is nicer than the Portland one - much bigger, with a great food court and a two-storey Kinokuniya Bookstore - but it was still really nice to get some Japanese things I'd missed. I'm definitely hitting up the Uwajimaya in Seattle at spring break, though. For the Kinokuniya, if nothing else.

I wish there was a Book-Off in this area, but the closest one is in Vancouver, BC. If we had one in Washington or Oregon, I'd be all over it. Or, equally, Book-Off's counterpart Hard-Off. Hard-Off, despite the really funny name, is a used electronics store. Why they called it Hard-Off, the world may never know.

And... now I really need to get some sleep. Sleep is good.

But, I have another Zuka clip to post! This time, the Epilogue to Elisabeth. I'm gonna have to start seriously searching Youtube for new stuff - I can't let you guys down on the video posting front.

4 コメント:

N. Turner said...

I wish I could go to the big Uwajimaya!! *whine* I really, really liked it when we went, but the one in Beaverton isn't really all that bad... it could be worse.

The chick in this clip has a really nice, sweet voice. I really enjoy it. Mizu kind of creeps me out with that makeup on.... interesting how they get her clothing that flat! The makeup makes her look so surreal and kind of sickly. *waits to be smacked for the blasphemous comment*

As for the tick, it really annoyed me that he wouldn't go. It really is stupid that we odn't have universal healthcare. I would so pay more taxes for it. *sigh* Good news is, there is about a 96% chance there is no Lyme's disease in the tick, not common in this area. As for something like bubos, I don't think the tick would have that, either. Likely didn't hitchike from the Central/South part of the United States. But isn't it the most fun thing in the world to pick a bloodsucking, possibly-disease-infected cousin to the spider off someone's neck?

A.N. Latshaw said...

Well, she is Death. She isn't supposed to look healthy or, well, alive. So, yeah, surreal is kind of the point. I like it, anyway.

And the tick was horrible. That sucked.

The Witty Mulatto said...

What my mom used to do when we'd get ticks from playing outside is light a match, then blow it out and put the still-smoldering end of it to the tick's butt. That makes him come out in a hurry.

What I wanna know is, how'd the tick get on the back of your friend's neck. Sounds like someone was rolling around in the grass - or should I say, the hay.

Nice clip!

A.N. Latshaw said...

Not sure exactly, but that afternoon he'd been out in woods doing stuff for his environmental science class (at least, I think it's for environmental science). So he picked it up out there, apparently.

We should have gone with the match. It would have been faster and easier, I think.